300g vegan dark chocolate
80g vegetable oil
30g chia seeds
280g dark brown sugar
5g vanilla paste
100ml golden syrup
100g desiccated coconut
125g gluten free self raising flour
40g cacao powder
375g cooked beetroot
200ml coconut milk
1. Preheat oven to 170c and line a 30cm square cake tin.
2. In a measuring jug, put the chia seeds. Top up to 350ml with water. Leave to sit for 10 minutes.
3. In a bowl, over a hot pan, melt the chocolate with the oil.
4. Put the sugar, vanilla, syrup & chia seed into the mixer. Whisk until thick, smooth and creamy, for around 5 minutes.
5. In a food processor, grate the beetroot.
6. Add in the coconut, flour & cacao powder and mix in slowly.
7. Squeeze the excess liquid out of the beetroot and keep separate for the icing.
8. Add in the beetroot and coconut milk and mix in slowly until evenly distributed.
9. Put cake batter into the cake tin and bake for around an hour. Check on the cake after 30 minutes. Check it is cooked by inserting a skewer into the middle of the cake and when it comes out almost clean, the cake is cooked.
10. Take the cake out when cooked and leave to cool. Put into the fridge when at room temperature.