Summer Berry Coulis
1kg frozen summer berries
250g caster sugar
400g Lotus Biscoff biscuits
100g vegan butter
15g / 1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 ripe avocados
200g block soft tofu
200g dark chocolate
30g / 2 tbsp icing sugar
10ml / 2 tsp vanilla essence
5g / 1 tsp salt
1 scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream
Dark chocolate and avocado mousse, Biscoff base, summer berry coulis & vegan vanilla ice cream
The Deaf Institute prides itself on its excellent vegan and vegetarian dishes. Head Chef Tom spends a lot of his hours researching for new menus and developing amazing dishes, without compromising quality. This cheesecake makes clever use of tofu and avocado to give the chocolate a light whipped cheesecake texture. We use fair trade dark chocolate and sugar. We buy our vegan ice cream from a local company in Manchester, Ice Shack, who work with us to develop the perfect flavours and texture to accompany our great desserts.
1. Place all ingredients in a pan bring to a boil, then simmer until it coats the back of a spoon. Blend and pass through a chinois and chill until required.
2. Crush biscuits and melt the vegan butter then combine. Line the base and side of cheesecake tin with parchment paper. Evenly press the biscuit/butter mixture into the base of the tin and place in the fridge to set.
3. In a food processor, blend together the tofu and avocado until smooth. Melt the chocolate and set aside.
4. Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa powder.
5. Add the chocolate, icing sugar, cocoa and all remaining ingredients to the food processor and blend until smooth. Pour over the biscuit base and leave to set in the fridge overnight.
6. Slice into 12 portions and serve with the berry coulis and a scoop of the vanilla ice cream.