Part One 5g fennel seeds 8g black peppercorns 11g mustard seeds 5g coriander seeds
Toast all these seeds to release the flavours
Part Two 9kg water 600g fine sea salt 550g sugar 120g pink salt 180g dark brown sugar 15 cloves garlic 5g chilli flakes 5g all spice 4g ground mace 4g crushed cinnamon sticks 3g bay leaf 5g cloves 10g dill stalks
Tongue Glaze Ingredients:
500ml cooking juices from the tongues 500ml Red Wine Sauce
Pickled Cucumber (gherkin) Ingredients:
Brine: 1ltr water 100g salt Mix together and warm to dissolve the salt. Leave to cool Gherkin: 10 Piccolino cucumbers
Pickling liquid: 2.5 ltr white wine vinegar 500g water 1kg sugar 2 star anise 2 bay leaves 4g coriander seeds 1g cumin seeds 1g black peppercorns Boil all together 100g fresh dill (to be added later, separately)
Pickle Gel Ingredients:
400ml pickling liquor from the cucumbers 100ml water 6g agar
Pickle Jelly Sheets Ingredients:
400ml pickling liquor from the cucumbers 100ml water 18g veggie gel
Toasted Brioche (for the sauce) Ingredients:
150g unsalted butter 1.5 brioche buns
Small Diced Brioche Ingredients:
100g brioche dice 1cm x 1cm 150g unsalted butter
Toasted Brioche sauce Ingredients:
15g olive oil 100g finely sliced shallots 50g white wine 400g chicken stock 30g crème fraiche 150g toasted brioche and butter
Ingredients Dill Oil:
200g Dill 150ml Sunflower Oil Salt
1. Take all ingredients from part 2, put in a pan and bring to the boil, making sure the salts and sugars are fully dissolved 2. Add the toasted spices from part on, remove from the heat and allow to cool. 3. Once fully cooled, add the tongues and leave to brine for 5 days 4. After 5 days, remove from the brine and pat dry with a jay cloth. 5. Place each tongue into a vac pac bag with 500ml of chicken stock and seal. 6. Place the tongues into a steamer at 85°c for 12 hours. 7. Once cooked remove from the bags and reserve the cooking liquor for the glaze.
1. Bring both liquids to the boil together in a pan. 2. Reduce to a glazing, syrup consistency. To Serve: 1. Portion the tongue into 40g evenly shaped pieces, trimming the edges to get a nice sharp rectangular shape. 2. Place the portioned piece of tongue onto a small tray and coat the meat with the glaze. 3. Place into the oven at 130°c for 10 minutes, checking and re-glazing every 2-3 minutes. 4. Once soft, glazed and hot, finish with brioche crumbs.
1. Prick each cucumber with a cocktail stick/skewer all over 2. Vac pac the mini cucumbers in brine for 24 hours 3. Remove cucumbers from the brine and place into a container with the fresh dill 4. Pour over the warm pickle liquid and leave to sit and marinate for 2 days completely covered
1. Bring the pickling liquid and water to the boil and whisk in the agar. 2. Place in the fridge to set and then blitz to a gel.
1. Bring the pickling liquid and water to the boil and then mix in the veggie gel 2. Pour the hot liquid onto a tray to form a thin flat sheet of jelly 3. Allow to cool and set. Use a 6cm cutter to create jelly discs, reserve between parchment paper.
1. Tear the buns into medium sized chunks 2. Heat the butter in a pan until foaming. 3. Place bits of the brioche into the butter, piece by piece, mixing continuously until the brioche is golden and crispy. 4. Once golden remove from the pan and reserve the brioche and butter for the sauce.
Small Diced Brioche
1. Heat the butter in a medium sized pan until foaming 2. Add the brioche bit by bit turning continuously until golden 3. Once golden remove the brioche from the pan, drain on absorbent paper and season with salt.
Toasted Brioche Sauce
1. Heat the oil in a medium sized pan and add the shallots, cover with cling film and cook until soft but with no colour. 2. Add the white wine and reduce until it coats the shallots 3. Add the chicken stock & crème fraiche and bring to the boil. 4. Once boiled, add the brioche and butter then blend until smooth.
1. Blanch the dill in salted boiling water for 30 seconds 2. Once blanched, plunge the dill straight into iced water to stop the cooling process and maintain the green colour 3. Strain off the dill by wrapping it in a jay cloth or oven cloth and squeezing out all the moisture 4. Chop through the dill with a knife before putting in a thermo mix at speed 10 for 6 minutes with the sun flower oil 5. Pass the oil through a jay cloth and season with salt to taste
Garnish with fresh snipped dill